Visiting the Matrimandir
The Matrimandir is a place for individual silent concentration.
A place which should be visited in a quiet, physical and mental state.
It is not a ‘tourist’ site.
The Visitors Centre is the first entry point for visitors coming to the Matrimandir.
- The Matrimandir Viewing Point: A free pass to view the Matrimandir and its Gardens, from a vantage point, is available at the Visitors Centre. More information is available at https://visit.auroville.org/
- The Matrimandir Inner Chamber: The Inner Chamber is open to visitors every morning except Tuesday & Sunday. Each person has to submit their own request and fill out a separate booking form. All visitors should reach the Visitors Centre at the Reporting Time mentioned in their confirmation email. All visitors should be available to arrive by 8.15 am at the Visitors Centre on their confirmed booking date.
Kindly note that booking is granted individually and as per seat availability. Arrival and Same Day Bookings are not possible. Booking requests should be submitted at least a week in advance to avoid disappointment. Bookings are only possible for the available dates as listed in the booking form.
For bookings to the Inner Chamber, please scan the Booking QR Code below or click the Link and submit your details.
What you need to remember:
- The booking link is available from IST 7 am to 12 noon each day from Wednesday through Monday.
- Tuesday is a weekly day off when the system will be inoperative.
- Please take care to read and provide complete details.
- If you do not receive a Confirmation Email with a Booking Number or a Declined email even after 48 hours, please mention your Full Name, Date of Birth and City of Residence and send an email to email@example.com
Booking Link address: https://mmaccess.auroville.org.in/visitors/new
[IST 7 AM - 12 NOON FROM WED. - MON.]
- Based on the guidelines given by the Mother, Group Bookings are not accepted for concentration in the Inner Chamber of the Matrimandir. It is a place for individual concentration.
- Only children of 10 years and above are allowed into the Matrimandir.
- All accompanying children below that age will be asked to stay back at the Visitors Centre with an adult.
- In case of rainy weather conditions, the Matrimandir will be closed and all bookings for that day will be cancelled. The cancellation will be notified by 7.30 am on the day, through an email.
Visits to the Matrimandir and to its Viewing Point are free of cost. Bookings for passes to the Matrimandir and to the Viewing Point must be done by each person on their own and cannot be done by agents, guides, tour operators, autorickshaw/taxi drivers etc.
The cooperation of all is solicited to help us maintain peace and tranquillity around the Matrimandir by leaving vehicles (private or hired) at the Visitors Centre Parking. Vehicle Access to the Matrimandir is restricted and not provided to private or hired vehicles.
General information on the Matrimandir can be obtained every day at the Information Desk at the Visitors Centre, from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm. This includes an introductory video on the Matrimandir offered in various languages.
The Matrimandir Viewing Point, south of the Park of Unity, is a raised garden area which offers visitors a beautiful view of the Matrimandir and its surroundings.
Passes for the Matrimandir Viewing Point can be obtained for free at Auroville's Visitors Centre, after watching a short introductory video on the Matrimandir.
Timing for visits (starting from the Visitors Centre)
- Every day, from 9.00 am to 5.30 pm
Way to the Matrimandir Viewing Point:
A shaded walk leads from the Visitors Centre to the Viewing Point. A free electric shuttle service is available for those who may find it difficult to walk. A free bus service is available for the return journey from the Viewing Point to the Visitors Centre for all those who wish to avail of it.
Currently, a small diversion has been created through the International Zone, from where one can view interesting locations like Bharat Nivas, Unity Pavilion, and Savitri Bhavan.
The Matrimandir website features frequent updates on the progress of the Matrimandir and rich photographs of the Gardens and the Matrimandir itself.
Matrimandir Newsletter is a quarterly publication which gives updates on the continuing progress of the works inside and outside the Matrimandir, from the Inner Chamber to the Heliostat, to the Disks, to the Petals, to the Gardens, to the Lake.
Visitors CentreYour Discovery of Auroville Begins HereThe Auroville Visitors Centre is a place where day visitors and guests can begin to discover and learn about Auroville, its ideals, history, and present-day manifestation. The VC encompasses a complex of buildings that include exhibition spaces, information and guest reception, boutiques for Auroville products and handicrafts, a bookshop, cafes and a food court.
Guest HousesAuroville Guest Accomodation Service
The main guest season in Auroville is from December to March, when the climate is cool and pleasant. A second, shorter season, runs from July to September. Anyone wishing to stay in a guest house during these periods is advised to book well in advance.