Pavilion of Tibetan Culture
was founded on 28 February 1968 in South India by the Mother, the
spiritual collaborator of Sri Aurobindo. A philosopher, poet and national
leader, Sri Aurobindo led the Nationalist movement in the early 1900's,
but he soon realized that a deeper and more powerful revolution was
needed for humanity to pass to the next stage of its evolution.
The international township is to be a "site of material and spiritual researches for a living embodiment of an actual human unity." The Mother has declared in Auroville's Charter that Auroville is the site of 'an unending education and the youth that never ages."
Surrounding the Matrimandir, the soul of Auroville, are the four zones of the township: cultural, industrial, residential and international. In the last zone, all the nations of the world are invited to build a pavilion representing their specific culture and genius. In January 1973, His Holiness the Dalai Lama met the Mother in Pondicherry and visited Auroville. He came again over Christmas 1993 to lay the Foundation Stone of the Tibetan Pavilion.
In 1996, His Holiness blessed the Pavilion with a contribution of 100,000 Rs (approx. $3000) as seed money for raising the necessary funds to complete the project. His Holiness said that he was "very pleased about how the work is progressing and very appreciative of Auroville's dedication and determination for the Tibetan people."
Since then more than 1,00,000 $ have been collected this includes a participation from 3000$ each from each Department of the Central Tibetan Administration, Dharamsala.
The main purposes of the Pavilion are to have a cultural center of Tibet in the international zone of Auroville, and a training center for young Tibetans wanting to take advantage of Auroville 30 years of researches and experiments.
is daily visited by hundreds of Indian and foreign visitors, guests
and friends of Auroville. Once completed the Pavilion will be a window
on the ancient culture of Tibet.
|Auroville Universal Townshipemail@example.com|