How to participate
Contributing human resources
Contributing for land acquisition:
How can you participate in Auroville's development?
There are many ways to contribute towards Auroville's development. Auroville needs more people, knowledge, expertise, financial resources, donations in kind, customers for its commercial units, and contacts with persons and organisations that can help.
Contributing human resources
Auroville welcomes new people who want to join the community. Newcomers are requested to pay for their stay during their first year, although exceptions can be made for those without financial means. You are always free to end your newcomer period whenever you want.
It is also possible to come to Auroville for a limited period as a trainee, researcher, teacher, etc. and experience Auroville life. In this case, agreements need to be worked out in advance with the persons involved in your specific area of interest.
If you want to know more about joining Auroville, please contact the Auroville International Centre in your country or
Auroville Entry Group
Contributing knowledge and experience
Auroville needs access to more knowledge and expertise. You can assist by:
If you are not in a position to provide financing for any of the above, there may be some funds available through Auroville. Please contact the beneficiary directly or the
Auroville Project Coordination Group
Contributing material or equipment
The scope of Auroville's work is wide and the requirements are enormous; therefore, donations in kind are very much appreciated. However:
If you consider making a donation in kind, please contact beforehand either the beneficiary directly or the
Centre for Urban Research
Contributing financial resources
Financial contributions for Auroville's development are channeled through the Auroville Unity Fund from where donations are directed to the designated projects. It is therefore important that clear indication is given for which Auroville project or service the contribution is earmarked.
If you wish to receive an overview of pending project proposals, you may contact Auroville’s Project Coordination Group (PCG), specifying your field of interest. Project proposals can also be prepared to match specific requirements of a potential donor.
How to send your contribution?
Please note: donations made directly to Auroville from abroad do not qualify for tax exemption in the home country. If you require a tax exemption you are advised to route your donation to Auroville via the Auroville International Centre (AVI) in your respective country.
Donations via Internet
Please access the Auroville Donation Gateway and follow the instructions given on the site. Donations made through this channel do not qualify for tax exemption and donors from abroad who require this are advised to route their donation to Auroville via the AVI centre in their country.
Donations via mail from outside India
1. Send a cheque or a demand draft payable to Auroville Unity Fund, or directly to the Auroville unit that carries out the activity or project you wish to sponsor. For example: 'draft payable to Auroville Unity Fund, specified for Matrimandir'.
2. Direct transfer from any bank to:
3. Send a cheque or demand draft to the Auroville International Centre in your country. In that case, donations are to be made in the name of the respective AVI Centre. As tax exemptions vary from country to country, you are advised to inquire with them. In either case, please don't forget to mention the purpose of your donation in your cover letter.
Please note: donations for Matrimandir, Lands for Auroville Unified (LFAU), as well as for educational & scientific research projects are 50 % tax exempted under section 80G of the Income Tax Act.
1. Indian citizens and other tax assessees who require a tax exempt receipt under section 80G or section 35.1.ii or 35.1.iii are advised to make a donation by sending a cheque to Auroville’s Unity Fund, clearly earmarking the project of their choice and indicating that they wish to avail of the exemption:
2. You can also send a cheque or a demand draft directly to the Auroville unit, project or service that carries out the activity you wish to sponsor. For example: 'draft payable to Auroville Unity Fund, specified for Matrimandir.'
3. Or you can directly transfer your donation to the Auroville account at the State Bank of India:
Finding customers for Auroville products
Auroville's commercial units contribute significantly to the maintenance and development of the community. By helping them to sell their products, you are supporting Auroville. If you can help in this, please contact the Auroville Board of Commerce.
You may know people, organisations or funding agencies that could contribute to Auroville's development. If so, please contact the Auroville International Centre in your country or the Auroville Project Coordination Group directly.
Thank you for having taken the time to look at this information. We very much appreciate your assistance in building Auroville.
|Auroville Universal Townshipemail@example.com|